More Catchup on the Blog…

I am continuing my effort to catch the blog up to the progress of the airplane. There will be a lot of photos here and sparse detail since I want to get current on the blog and get to some of the more exciting things, so here are some more updates.

After getting the panel cut and the flanges for the top cowl done, we worked on many small things. One of which was getting a fresh air vent installed in the front and rear seats. For the front seat I copied Berkut13, and added a bulkhead to the strake cutout for the eyeball vent.

Strake Vent BulkheadSBV Fit In PlaceSBV Installed

Another small project was adding a NACA vent for the rear seat fresh air vent as well as the mounting for the eyeball vent outlet. The NACA needed to be made from scratch since any pre-made vent I could find was in the “ludicrous” price range. So a mold was made using coordinates that I found online for the NACA submerged inlet design. There was a 7 degree angle cut on the block and the mold was mounted to a molding plate. Since I do not have vacuum bagging capabilities in my shop, I used a low tech method to force the fiber glass into the sharp corners of the mold.

The NACA inlet was mounted to the fuselage, and a aluminum plate was made up to mount the eyeball vent into the passengers right side console. In addition to the vent, there is a 12 volt receptacle and interphone plugs in the plate.

A mold for the fresh air inlet for the rear seat.
A mold for the fresh air inlet for the rear seat.
In order to force the glass into the sharp corners of the mold, I used play dough as a "formable clamp." Plastic sheeting was put over the play dough to prevent it from drying and hardening. Then weight was placed on top of the play dough for cure.
In order to force the glass into the sharp corners of the mold, I used play dough as a “formable clamp.” Plastic sheeting was put over the play dough to prevent it from drying and hardening. Then weight was placed on top of the play dough for cure.
The finished NACA inlet. There was some damage to the flange on separation from the mold.
The finished NACA inlet. There was some damage to the flange on separation from the mold.
Fresh air, interphone jacks, and 12 volt receptacle.
Fresh air, interphone jacks, and 12 volt receptacle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rear turtle deck interior cover was also completed. Both the forward edge of the exposed foam as well as a cosmetic plate that will cover the turtle deck cavity. The fuel vent manifold is mounted in here, and in the future this will be a place to mount the engine monitor electronics  or possibly other items.

The expose foam is covered with glass.
The expose foam is covered with glass.
A cover is made to hide the items that will be housed in the turtle back.
A cover is made to hide the items that will be housed in the turtle back.

Turtle Back Cover

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In addition to all of this we did get the hold down made, fit and installed to the forward compartment. It was made with space for a neoprene piece to be used as a cushion and clamp to hold the battery down. The neoprene is scrap baffle seal material, it should be readily available when it needs to be replaced.

The battery hold down mounting is curing. The mounting is a section of piano hinge that will have a cotter pin to hold the battery down.
The battery hold down mounting is curing. The mounting is a section of piano hinge that will have a cotter pin to hold the battery down.

With the exception of a bit of finishing work on the interior consoles, smoothing out the edges that pretty much catches us up to the first aerobatic maneuver for the Long. We flipped the airplane upside down in preparation for fabricating the lower cowl. Hopefully tomorrow I will get you caught up on that and some of the prep work before starting on the cowl.

Coming back to today, I have the shape for the lower cowl pretty much dialed in. I will detail shaping the lower cowl, and the preparation for that in few posts when I can get caught up. The plan is to have a cowl by Friday, so here is a teaser photo of approximately where we are.

Lower Cowl - Mudd-ed

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s