I have had a few days to work in the shop for an hour each time in the last week. I am still focusing on getting the nose gear/gear doors dialed in so that I can get to finishing the bottom of the fuselage.
Since I have never been quite happy with the way my first attempt at the gear doors turned out, I have already started to remake them. I started this process with the nose gear bowl and new style hinges. As I was preparing to make new doors, I realized that the nose gear was not actually retracting all the way into the fuselage. The tire was proud of the fuselage bottom by .2 inches.
To investigate, I took the nose gear strut out of the airplane, and measured the locations of all the brackets on the gear strut. They turned out to be within tolerances. Then I realized that when I took the gear motor off the strut, the gear stayed in the same position. That eliminates the gear motor/gear motor attach (NG3), as the causes. The gear was hanging up on the strut cover (SC), the fiberglass part that creates the gear well.
Big kudos to Mike Beasley, who has photos of the process of making a SC on his website. As it was a prefab part for most Long Ez’s there are no plans for it.
Basically the process is creating a foam mold, covered in duct tape, that is used to layup the new SC. It is then trimmed, fit, and installed. Today I was able to build the foam mold, and layup the part. Tomorrow I will work on trimming, fitting and installing.
In addition, I fabricated 6 of the new design hinges for the gear doors. Four will be used for the gear doors, and 2 will be modified further to be used for the forward strut cover ahead of the pivot point.